Monday, July 11, 2005

Sowing in the rough - II

Some of the Lophophora williamsii (RS 268; Huizache, San Luis Potosí) seedlings are developing interesting growth forms. One is clearly dichotomous (a simple type of branching in plants where the apical meristem splits at various intervals) and another shows signs of an extension of the apical meristem into a ridge - I'll watch it closely to see if it develops a crest.

Dichotomous Lophophora williamsii seedling

Dichotomous Lophophora williamsii seedling

Lophophora williamsii seedling with a crest meristem?<br />

Lophophora williamsii seedling with a crest meristem?

< previous | next >

4 comments:

  1. Those are awesome. Are you going to graft them, or let the grow naturally? I've never seen a two headed(dichotomous) one like that.
    The second pic looks cristate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I’m planning on letting them grow naturally. I know it’s slow but I don’t want to risk killing the plants by an unsuccessful graft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did it go with these special-seedlings? Especially the Dichotomous Lophophora seedling would be interesting to see now three years later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid the plant in the first photo was crushed when a friends loveable but extremely clumsy bernese mountain dog (berner sennenhund) knocked the pot to the floor. The plant in the second photo is still doing well - it turned out to be dichotomous also (alas, not a crest as I was hoping for ;-). It needs to be repotted soon; I'll take some new pictures then.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts